Saturday, June 28, 2014

Comfort zones



Why do you do participate in challenges? I am sure there are a million reasons. For me, it is often about getting outside of my comfort zone. It's kinda funny, but when I was new to stamping, my motto was "try everything". Like a child I was very free in my creativity and just did what ever amused me. Now, as an "adult" stamper  I tend to stay within very prescribed boundaries and color themes. Challenges force me to step out of my box and comfort zone and to let my inner child stamper out. I hope this all makes sense to you.


Marisa's challenge at Just Us Girls is an inspiration photo. These are generally the most challenging to me for a number of reasons. one is I tend to get overwhelmed by all aspects of the photo and think I need to represent everything. Colors- often they are colors I would never use in my stamping.

I have really been checking out how others interpret photo challenges and see if I can find some help there. I discovered just focusing on one or two elements is the way to go. All this to say is I found I really liked this photo and you can see for yourself the two elements I grabbed onto. The colors- well I never would have used them on my own, but I REALLY like them together on my card.

I would love to hear from you about why you do challenges and what challenges you find the most  challenging.

Can't wait to see how YOU interpret this week's challenge at Just Us Girls!


Stamps used-

6 comments:

Marisa said...

The row of flowers is fabulous as are the polka dots :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

So fun! I love that polka dotted bg paper!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Love the polka dot background and that strip of fun flowers! You did an amazing job on this even if it was out of your comfort zone.

Sharyn Polesel said...

Beautiful card, Sue! Love that lovely band of flowers and, of course, the polka dot background!

Lisa Kind said...

Photo inspiration challenges are one of my favs because it can take you in so many directions! I used to love playing in the SCS photo inspiration challenges when I first started stamping. Your card is so pretty! I love the flower panel in the center. Great job with the challenge!

Nancy said...

You nailed it on the head Sue! I don't focus on the entire photo...I try to take three things at most or sometimes a lot less and that helps me not to get overwhelmed. Your card came out perfect! Can't go wrong with polka dots!